Hello all! Not having access to internet is kind of an adjustment. It´s nice on one hand because I think we in the US are addicted, especially people my age, and on the other hand it makes me feel really far away. I think this in addition to lots of other things have make me realize that I´m here for real. For two years this is my home. I don´t get to just pack up and head home. It´s not that I necessarily want to go home, but it´s just weird the first time you realize that you´re somewhere for good.
Fortunately I have my instant Starbucks coffee, my Clif bars and some Vanilla Chai tea I brought from the States. I´ve learned that just because a place has everything you could need doesn´t mean it has the smells and tastes you crave. Of course they have granola bars and tea here, not to mention that coffee grows behind my house. Still when I start to miss home and make a cup of Starbucks I instantly feel better. (Note to family who may send packages- send Via coffee and or Good Earth Vanilla Chai Tea :))
Training is becoming very long... I´m sure volunteers all over the world feel that way, but that doesn´t change the fact that you have to sit in class all day everyday. I understand the methodology, but I still get really tired. This week we do have something fun to do though. On Saturday each of us is going to visit a volunteer and spend the weekend wih them. I´m really excited to see what real live volunteers are doing in their communities. It´s hard listening to so much theory and not actually seeing it applied. I´m hoping this visit will help put the training in to perspective and help me connect real human need to what I hear all day.
Despite long classes and studying, I can´t leave this post without mentioning how absolutely beautiful it is here and how wonderful my group of trainees is. I have met some really interesting and caring people here and I am really glad to have them as my new friends to talk to and share this experience with. I also make sure I take a good look around as I walk places to remind myself of where I am and how incredible it is to be here.
2 comments:
So, if coffee grows behind the house, are you going to learn how harvest it and make something drinkable? Sounds pretty exciting so far even without familiar things. Enjoy each step....Aunt Candy
Next week we are going to go coffee picking! And we might get to go to a place where they roast coffee which is called a beneficio... I should work on learning to roast coffee and safe myself a lot of money in the States!
Post a Comment