I live in t-shirts and shorts here. Like I mentioned before, I can count on one hand the number of times I've recently worn pants in my town. Jeans, long-sleeves and jackets come in handy in San Jose and when I travel, but usually I just glance at them hanging in the closet and chuckle. There is one particular item that always makes me laugh when looking at it, and that is my North Face down vest. I know you're probably asking why I brought it in the first place, and while that's a legitimate question, I had, and have, a very good reason. The reason has absolutely nothing to do with the cold, though the vest came in handy for that during my 3 months in training in a mountain community. The real reason I though, is in case I miss home. It's a security blanket of sorts. Laugh if you will, say I'm too old, but really, it's true.
Growing up in Boise and living a few years in Spokane I spent months cocooned in my down vest. It makes me feel warm (obviously), but more than that it makes me feel safe. Zipping the fleece lined puffer up to my chin and snuggling up makes me think of northwest winters, of skiing, of a fire in the fireplace, and of home. While I was packing to come here I looked at that vest and thought just that. My plan was, 'If I'm there and I really, really miss home I'll put it on, zip it up tight, snuggle my chin in, close my eyes and imagine I'm home.' I did consider the possible heat factor, but the cost-benefit ratio favored the snuggly goose-down outerwear garment, and in it went.
A day hadn't really come that I needed my security blanket vest, although I've had some times that I've felt homesick nothing had yet warranted The Vest. That was, until Tuesday. There's not a lot worse than being sick when you live alone and far from friends and family, and add being in a foreign country and you've got what I'd call a bad deal.
On Tuesday I came down with some kind of stomach virus. It was really terrible. My stomach and head hurt, I had a fever, moving made me nauseous. It was all round no good. As I lay in bed Tuesday night I tried to figure out how to make myself feel better. I tried crackers and club soda, ibuprofen, you know the regular stuff, and I was feeling okay as long as I just didn't move. What I really wanted was to be at home with my parents so they could bring me soup and tea, and I wouldn't have to be alone in Costa Rica attempting not to move. As much as I wished it, this was not an option. Enter here: The Vest. I looked up from my bed at my clothes hanging there and saw what was as close to a solution as I was gonna get. I missed home, I wanted to be snuggled on a couch in Boise, Idaho, I needed something, and there it was. It may have been too warm for down and I may have had a fever, but I got the vest down anyway. I snuggled into it, got comfy in bed, got some crackers and gatorade, and I was set.
They vest worked like a charm. I still wasn't cured of my flu, but I felt a lot better with just that little reminder of home. I was still alone, I still spent all day in bed, but I closed my eyes and I was home. I knew it would come in handy.
2 comments:
Holy cow! Kudos to you for even thinking of the vest ahead of time...very impressive, and obviously appropriate inclusion to your "wardrobe." Your comments make me think that maybe Linus (of Peanuts cartoon fame) had something there with his blanket. There are those moments in life when an "object of comfort" is the only thing that will do. I'm so glad you had yours, though I am sorry you had to use it for the flu. Hopefully, at this point , life is looking a little less nauseous and adventures of a more pleasant kind await.
I never imagined I would be compared to Linus...Haha. You're right though :)
Post a Comment