2/03/2010

Calle de Las Herrerias


Yay. I finally figured out how to make the blog be in English, which is good so now you all can understand what the little links mean and stuff.

Besides that, I've started going to the foundation where I'm going to be volunteering for the rest of my time here. This week we're learning how to do the art projects we will be teaching the kids, and it's pretty fun. We're working with clay, making animals, jewelry and murals. Next we'll be learning how to make little booties and hats out of wool. I'm working with a girl from Finland who is at the foundation as part of a study abroad program. She's studying art and she's the one who is teaching us how to do stuff. In addition to being a good artist, she is also 100% hippie. She has really long dreads and very eclectic clothes. She's really nice and we get along well, it's just funny because on the surface we're night and day, but it's great be able to get to know someone from another country. There's also another girl who's taking ceramics classes at the same place we're working who's from the Czech Republic. We've had a good couple of days working on our projects and taking breaks to have a cup of coffee or "cafecito".

Here are a couple of pictures I took yesterday on my walk to the foundation. The building we are in is a small museum (there's a lot of them in this town) and is located on the metalworker's street. Right in front of the museum is a big piece of art that is a monument to the metal workers. I took a picture of the street sign too because it's cool. All the street signs in the old part of town are like this. There is also a picture of the bridge right down from our house that crosses the river I run and walk by, and a picture of the cow I saw about 50 yards from the bridge. I think it's hilarious that the cows are grazing by the greenbelt thing.

No comments: