


So, we made it back safe and sound from our trip to the beach for carnaval, and I have not one complaint about sitting on the beach for 4 days and dancing all night. The van ride, on the other hand, is a different story. The van itself was really more comical than anything with 10 people, all their luggage and some DJing stuff in one minivan; but the driving was crazy and I was thinking most of the time that the beach would be really fun as long as we made it in one piece. We were fine, I was probably the only one who was worried because I'm just not used to it. They don't have lane line on the highways, only a median line, and therefore people can make a two lane into a three lane, pass whenever they want, stop at will in either of the lanes and the police are not about to do anything. The weird thing about it is that it functions. I have yet to see an accident here. No fender benders, nothing. I don't know how it works, but it does and it did for us on our whole 6 hour drive to the beach.
The town we went to this weekend was called Montanita and it's known for being a laid back little surf town (think Jack Johonson, board shorts and a beer). It was really cool and relaxed, all the roofs were thatched, the streets weren't paved, everyone was walking around in flip-flops and swim suits. The beach was incredible, soft white sand and really warm water.
In contrast to the beachy feel of the town was the air of carnaval that took it over come nightfall. There was music coming from everywhere, the streets were full of people drinking and dancing and people spraying you with foam all over the place.
We spent the days laying on the beach, eating delicious fresh fruit and seafood and right about midnight we headed out to dance. When we finally made it back around 6 we collapsed in our beds for a few hours until the sun was getting high on the beach again.
We didn't end up taking surf lessons, we're saving that for a trip we have planned to northern Peru. But we might go again to Montanita when there isn't carnaval music pulsing all night, and also get to know the other beaches around here.
Here's a couple pictures of our group and I have some videos and other pics I'll get to soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment