It must be the season for butterflies. I don't know much about them, but I do know that right now they are EVERYWHERE, they're beautiful, and they're reckless. I realize they have the right to fly where ever they so choose, but they fly right into me all the time when I'm running and I usually dodge them because they're so big and coming right at my face.
I realize dodging a butterfly doesn't seem that logical. After all, they can't really hurt you. But here's the thing, they fly SUPER fast and they don't really watch where they're going. In addition, they are big. I already look funny running to and from nowhere for hours and up hills that no one even wants to walk up, and it really adds to it that I am ducking, sidestepping and otherwise trying my best not to get hit by a careening butterfly.
What it's really like with all the butterflies lately is, and I'm not exaggerating this at all, the butterfly exhibit at the zoo. You go into that netted area with flowers and stuff and there are butterflies flying all around. There are all different kinds, all different colors and designs and all different sizes from tiny baby ones to huge mommas. That's where I live. In a butterfly exhibit, except it's natural, it's really cool.
To give you an idea of how reckless and large the butterflies are, listen to this: On Saturday as we were sitting in the house having coffee a butterfly with a 6in. wing span flew in the front door. We thought at first it was a bird, then a bat, and finally realized it was a butterfly. We tried waving our hands to get it out, but that didn't work. We talked to it. Pointed to the windows. Whatever we could think of, but it just kept un-carefully flying right at our faces, until it decided to leave about 10 min. later. But then... it came back. Out the window, and right back in. Same window, silly butterfly. 5 more min. Out the front door. Back in the kitchen window. 5 more min. When it left the third time we each rushed to a different window or door and slammed it shut. Out for good, but only 'till the next one.
Those butterflies should really be more careful.
1 comment:
You know when you experience another culture, you probably don't think of the particulars of the environment before you go, and if you do, it is certainly not the same as being "up close and personal" with it. Sounds like the butterflies are a bit of an "in-your-face" (no pun intended) group. I must say, though, that they've got to add to your run. When you return to the States, running will never be the same! Who else can say they "ran with the butterflies," which is certainly less dangerous than running with the bulls.
Post a Comment