4/05/2011

A couple weeks away

So, I just wrote about the three month mark of living in Venecia, but yesterday was the official 6 month mark of me being in Costa Rica. That's kind of a long time. Some days it feels like it, and some days it doesn't. It just depends. Overall, I'm really glad I'm here and I'm really enjoying it.


I spent the last 2 weeks out of town at a training in San José and at the beach. Our group had a 10-day training in San José and some friends and I decided to tack on a couple days at the beach to each end of our trip. We do live in Costa Rica, after all.


The first weekend before our training we went the the town of Quepos and the beach at Manuel Antonio. It was beautiful. White sand beaches and palms, the scene from a Costa Rican post card. Two girlfriends and I enjoyed our first real vacation lying on the beach, eating food we can't find where we live, taking in the gorgeous Pacific sunsets and relaxing. I highly recommend Manuel Antonio to anyone coming to Costa Rica and I think I'm going to spend part of Easter week there, since we have school off.


Our training in San José was good. It was much better that the first three months of training we had when we got here. Going back after three months we actually had context for what we were learning. We can really apply what we're learning, it's not just theoretical anymore. I picked up lots of good teaching tips and some supplies, and even more importantly I got to spend 10 days with other volunteers. It's nice to be with your friends after spending so much time in such a distinctly different situation.


The last couple days before coming home we spent in Jacó, the closest beach to San José. Jacó is known as a party spot and not necessarily the nicest beach in the country. It held true to both descriptions. It was a great surfing beach, but it was a little rocky and not the best for swimming both because of the rocks and the really strong undertow. A friend and I got pulled out preeeety far while swimming and it was a struggle to get back. We were fine but we sure got our workout in. The other thing about it being a party spot was true. The night life was very active, but it wasn't really our scene. We were looking for somewhere to go dancing and all there really were were clubs with only OK music and lots and lots of liquor. I'm all for having a good time with a good cocktail, but it was kind of a Cancún type scene where foreigners come to drink too much. We were informed, however, that every night is ladies' night in Jacó and as women we would never have to pay for a drink. Everyone loves free, but having every young man you meet tell you booze are always free for women makes you wonder about their intentions, if you know what I mean. We laughed it off, stayed in a group and took advantage of a couple free cocktails. All in all it was fun, but Jacó does not come highly recommended.


I only have 10 days at home before I'm off again to volunteer at a soccer tournament for indigenous kids in San José and then to the beach again for Easter week. Though life, eh?

No comments: