6/07/2011

Coco and the Amphibian Feet

I wish this post was actually a really great piece of short fiction, alas it is not. I'm sorry, because it's really is a great title. What it's really about though, is the cake that I made this weekend and my new shoes. Not nearly as cool as a scaly river creature from the warm, deep tropical rivers of Costa Rica and the mysterious tracks he's leaving all over the place... hahaha.

So, Coco was the name of the dog cake my little sister and I made on Saturday. For Easter I got a care package from home filled with Easter candy (yum!) and cake decorating stuff. I was really excited about this and told Camila we could make a cake in the form of anything we wanted. She LOVES dogs, so naturally we made a dog that looked just like one of the 6+ little critters that live in our yard. As if we needed another one. It was cute though, and it tasted pretty good. Orange pound cake with chocolate frosting.

The amphibian feet are not those of a real amphibian, but my feet. I don't think I qualify as an amphibian despite the fact that I love water. There is really no relation at all between my new shoes and amphibians, but since the first time I saw the Vibram Fivefinger Shoes I thought they looked like dinosaur/frog/lizard/monster feet. While the colors and styles have been updated (they were originally only available in army green, black and brown) they still look like monster feet. No question about it. I ordered the shoes because my running shoes we're about done and I really wanted to give the "barefoot" running thing a try. So far, I like them. The feeling of running almost barefoot is really freeing, although I feel like I am forgetting something when I step out for a run. It's a weird naked feeling at first, but after a little getting used to, it's cool. I've been out a few times in them and feel like I've mastered going up hills in them, but going down I still feel like a duck who doesn't quite know how to use her flipper feet.

1 comment:

Candice said...

So, is it like being a fish out of water?