1/01/2009

Carrot Cake...If it has vegetables in it, it's healthy, right?

Recipe from Brenda's Creative Cakery, but with a twist for Costa Rica

Also, I tried making this recipe gluten-free just to see if it would work. I substituted regular flour with oat flour. The texture turned out just right but it wasn't quite sweet enough, if you do that I would advise increasing the sugar by 1/4 to 1/2 c. Another option is to add some honey or brown sugar, maybe a 1/4 c.

Side note: Oat flour in Latin America is called "fresco de avena", they use it here to make a drink.

2 1/4 c. flour
2 1/4 c. sugar
1 c. oil
3 c. carrots
1 1/2 tsp. soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon
5 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
*To make it "Costa Rican" add 1/2 c. shredded coconut, fresh if possible :)
Parchment paper for lining pans

Instructions:

1. Combine dry ingredients.
2. Add carrots and oil.
3. Add eggs one at a time and beat for 1 min. on med-high. Don't over mix this batter.
4. Bake in parchment paper lined pans for 30 min at 350 degrees F. Makes 2 8"rounds

No comments: